In an earlier post, we covered a healthy pasta alternative with Sweet Potato Gnocchi. You can view that HERE. We have another pasta alternative today, and it is amazing. Substituting pasta noodles with spaghetti squash is a very delicious and healthy way to still enjoy a traditional Italian dish- guilt free. This recipe is all about natural ingredients, and simple flavors. You can dress up the recipe by adding shrimp or chicken to the sauce for a more filling meal.
1 large spaghetti Squash
5-7 tablespoon olive oil
3 garlic cloves sliced thin
1 lb cherry or grape tomatoes
1 bunch fresh basil
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degree. Cut the squash in half and scoop out the seeds. Rub the cut side of the squash with 2 tablespoons of oil and place face down on a baking sheet for 45 minutes. Allow the squash to cool and use a fork to scrape the squash flesh.
- Place a sauté pan on medium heat and add 5 tablespoons of oil and the sliced garlic.
- Add the tomatoes stirring regularly to keep the garlic from burning. after 4-5 minutes, begin pushing down gently on the tomatoes. they will begin blistering and release their juices. continue this process for 4-5 more minutes, mashing the tomatoes into a think sauce.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. stir in the basil, and simmer sauce for 1-3 minutes.
- Spoon the sauce over the squash and enjoy!